Saturday, January 10, 2015

Glues

I got a bunch of new glue for Christmas.  My husband looked at me weird and asked why I needed so many different glues.  Well I am glad that I got new glues.  With my regular scrapbooking (just put a mat under the photo and throw on some stickers) I couldn't seem to find an adhesive that would hold.  I tried glue tabs, glue dots, tape runner, glue stick.  Someone gave me some suggestions and the first one was Zip Dry.  Now I like Zip Dry because it does have a good hold...but I don't like Zip Dry because it is a really gummy glue.  I feel like I waste just as much glue as I use and it dries up and gums over so quickly, so I had to find something else so I'm not constantly frustrated.  So I got some more suggestions and ordered a few.  So far I have tried MonoAqua and I love the pen tip for small pieces (haven't tried the broad tip yet) and it seems to have a good hold.  I also got the zip pen.  It seems like it is barely half full of glue but it works great for small items.  At first I kept trying to squeeze the glue out, then squeeze and push, but I find it works best if you just occassionally lightly push down on the tip while you run it along the paper.  I will let you know on the other glues once I try them.  One is called the best glue ever, Scotch Quick drying tacky glue, and someone told me fabri-tac also but it doesn't say for paper on the bottle, and while it has been sitting (not even open yet) it has exploded out the top and has a gumball size...gumball sitting on it, so I haven't tried it yet but already not that impressed.
Recently I found a Youtube video of how to save your gummy glues.  It said if you purchase a silicone bottle nipple (rubber might not work as the glue would stick) and some double sided mounting foam you can create a nonstick lid.  You wrap the foam around the bottle twice then squeeze the nipple over the top.  I decided it was worth a try.  (I got the medium flow and it worked just fine, not too fast) At first I was excited because it seemed to work well, it didn't gum up after every single piece like it did with the regular lid.  So I put it to the test and came back after a couple of hours to see how it held up....this was the result.
If you can tell from the picture there is a concave nipple outline of glue in the middle of the nipple


Now it still works I tipped it upside down and the rest of the glue went past the dried glue but it still wasted a lot of glue, and after a few more uses a found myself frustrated by it again and ended up switching to a different glue.  So I will probably use up the rest of this glue, mostly because I'm thrifty (cheap) but I don't see myself buying ZipDry again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment